This quick and easy golden-grilled fish with a tasty sauce combines quality protein, healthy fats and fresh vegetables. Plus, it makes dinner a wholesome snap! Suitable for those following the MAF program — or leave out the honey for the perfect Two-Week Test meal.
For sauce, Combine red onion, vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, honey (unless on Two-Week Test) , cilantro and jalapeño in a small bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
Preheat grill over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes until very hot. Thoroughly clean and oil grill until grate is black and glossy.
Gently pat fish fillets dry with paper towel, rub with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with kosher salt on both sides. Grill fish skin side down until charred and nearly cooked through, approximately 4-6 minutes (the outer edges of the fillet should turn slightly opaque). Flip and cook fish for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side.
Transfer fish to a warm serving platter and pour escabeche over top. Let rest for 10-15 minutes in the sauce as a post-grill marinade.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 10-15 minutes
- - ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- - ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- - ¼ cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- - 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2-3 limes)
- - 2 cloves garlic, minced fine
- - 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- - 1 tablespoon honey (omit if on Two-Week Test)
- - 1 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- - 1 jalapeño, sliced paper thin
- - Kosher salt
- - 4, 6-ounce wild salmon fillet with skin (or any firm white fish)