This rich and nutritious chili dish is a soup and a salad all in one. Cook up a batch for dinner and save some for leftovers.
In a large casserole or other heavy pan over medium heat, brown hamburger, using lard if meat is very lean and seasoning with salt. When meat is nearly done, add onion, peppers, zucchini, cilantro and spices. Continue to sauté until onions are cooked. Add garlic last.
Pour in stock, tomato sauce, olives. Add beans (rinse if using canned) if desired, Turn down heat and simmer until chili takes on a rich color.
Serve in bowls. Top with radishes, chopped fresh cilantro and minced red onion.
Enjoy and save some for leftovers!
Serves: 6-8, or several meals
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 45 minutes
- Use organic ingredients
- 1 lb. hamburger (grassfed)
- 2 tbs lard (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 bell peppers, red, yellow, orange
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 tbs fresh ground cumin
- 1 tbs fresh ground coriander seed
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1 tbs basil
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4-1/2 cup red chili powder (mild or medium heat)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (organic)
- 1 cup beans or lentils if tolerated (optional)
- 1-2 cups each: Sliced radishes, chopped fresh cilantro, minced red onion
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes